03/03/2014

Caramel Coat

Nude lipsticks and I don't mix. Pale lipsticks tend to look horrific on me - they clash with my skin tone, settle into my lip lines and just look plain pasty. Not to mention, they make me look dead and my face devoid of colour! I'm always jealous of the girls who can pull of lovely nudes with little other makeup on. I'd resigned to the fact that I would never find the nude for me, until I stumbled across the Clarins Rouge Hydra Nude lipstick in 04 Nude Caramel.




























































































































































First of all, I picked it up for only $10 on clearance at a local Terry Whites chemist which is an absolute steal for a high end lipstick! It doesn't seem to be on any of Clarins' official websites though, but I did find it on various department store sites, so I'm not sure if it's been discontinued or not. I didn't just buy it because it was cheap though, when I swatched it I thought "hey, this is a nude that would probably work for me!".

The packaging is absolutely gorgeous. Although it appears luxurious, it is a very lightweight tube with a plastic lid and a hollow metal base. The lid is translucent with an ombre effect. It also has a notch with a 'C' written on it which I thought was a cute detail.

The formula was also something I noticed straight away when I swatched it for the first time. Being named Rouge Hydra Nude, you would expect something hydrating which is what you get. The formula is very similar to other sheer lipstick/balm hybrids - Revlon Lip Butters, L'oreal Nutri-shine lipsticks, etc. but this offering is probably my favourite. It has a thin, emollient formula that isn't glossy, but isn't satin either. I think this helps it wear a little better as it's not as slippy. It feels extremely light on the lips and almost feels like nothing besides the comfort of soft feeling lips. It is slightly moisturising and doesn't cling to dry patches or settle into lines. To me, it feels very similar on the lips to the Face of Australia Glossy Lip Crayons but a bit thinner as it's not as glossy. The pigmentation is good, it's sheer but not too translucent - if that makes sense. The nude colour still shows up on my lips but doesn't look thick or like a layer of lipstick. The wear time is pretty good for a sheer lipstick, it lasts around four hours but will need touching up after eating. The lipstick does have a faint scent as well. It's sort of sweet and vanilla-ry, whilst also being lipstick-y? I really enjoy it but it doesn't linger on the lips.

Nude Caramel is a delicious sounding name and one that describes the colour pretty perfectly. The shade is a peachy-brown-nude with a depth that I would describe as being medium on the scale of nudes. For some reason I think of this as a darker, more brown version of MAC Shy Girl even though I've never swatched that lipstick. Being slightly sheer, my lip colour comes through slightly but it still blanks out the mauvey-brown shade of my lips. I'd describe it as a MLBB nude as it's not pale or concealer-y, only slightly lighter than my natural lip colour. It's very flattering on my skintone and could be worn with a no makeup makeup look to a smokey eye.

I think I've finally found the colour family of nudes that suit me! I've been wearing this a lot, and I'd say it's even become a staple shade in my collection!

23 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds amazing! Nude lipsticks make me look dead but this colour AND the formula really looks great. I have to check it out :)

    Blu Button Box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhmm, agreed! Hopefully you can find it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so darn beautiful, and I cannot believe you grabbed it for $10! What a bargain! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Chemists are seriously great for spotting hidden gems in the clearance section!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a great everyday, MLBB shade. It kinda looks like something I have (although I can't seem to figure out what it is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are other shades like it out there - but I always bypass the nude shades, now I know what to look for!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a perfect "my lips but better" product, I'll check it out!

    Arianna, Nymphashion ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the perfect nudy brown pink toned shade for everyday I think! It looks absolutely easy to use and that's such a steal that you got it at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I find it more peachy toned though, I do love the formula :)

      Delete
  6. the shade looks amazing. I however tend to gravitate more towards pinkish nudes more...... Im sure you will look great in this though!!
    Pink Tiara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinkish nudes look horrible on me - it depends on the skintone!

      Delete
  7. This looks like the perfect peachy brown nude lipstick :) What an awesome post ~ so informative and relatable!
    http://guesswhoknowsclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Yeah I do think it's a great mix of those three colours.

      Delete
  8. I think Shy Girl is less pink, more beige-nude. You can have a play with it next time you're round. I keep seeing the discounted stock at Terry White but I'm usually afraid it's dodgy and about been left behind on the shelf for 5 years. Bargainous and very wearable all the same though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think to swatch it, but also cos counters scare me and I can't be bothered standing there turning upside down all the nude lipsticks to see the name haha :S The clearance bin ones were good I think - they were still in boxes and the testers swatched well so I was like what the heck!

      Delete
  9. Ha, the only downfall is trying to replace it after it runs out....-sigh- the cons of buying a limited edition/discontinued product ;-; (I mean, hopefully they keep them on the department store sites if it really is discontinued by Clarins!)
    BUT DANG, this shade is pretty. Love the ombre cap + price you snagged it for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhmm I hear ya - I hardly ever finish products though, so hopefully by then I'll have found other similar products.

      Delete
  10. I am that girl too!! Nudes never look good on me, too pale, too pink, too brown. Grrr! The swatch of this looks lovely though. Great bargain hunting skills too!
    www.luluisloving.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to find the right nude for your skintone! I would call myself a serial bargain hunter haha :P

      Delete
  11. Oh, how lovely! Looks like a perfect, wearable nude shade :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. having a good stock pile of nudes means....i'm lusting after this one too LOL>
    can't have too many right....?
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful shade! It looks so moisturising.


    Rachael from beautypea.com xx

    ReplyDelete