24/03/2014

NOTD // Space Jam

Although I've been a bit of a nail junkie for something like two years now, and wanted to try ALL the finishes there were, I'd never tried a holographic polish until recently because I was too lazy to order online. When I spotted this polish on clearance, I snatched it up as holographic polishes are rare on the drugstore scene. Today I'll be featuring Sportsgirl Space Jam which I do think was limited edition (as typical with Sportsgirl polishes) but I really wanted to show it!
















































Being my first holo polish, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, also because I'm not too familiar with the different holo finishes/effects. Space Jam's holo effect is not as strong as others I've seen as it is densely packed full of fine, micro holographic glitters. Although the effect is slightly more subtle and from afar looks more like a silver nail polish, when they catch the light, each glitter sparkles and reflects a rainbow of colours. The effect is absolutely gorgeous and eye catching, but also hard to capture on camera. You might be able to see it a bit better in this photo. The glitters are very densely packed and it only took two coats to achieve the opacity shown. However, the glitters dry down to an almost textured finish, being quite gritty and therefore require top coat to allow the holographic particles to sparkle. It actually took four coats of Revlon Colorstay top coat to get the shiny and smooth finish you see here. This also meant that wear time was amazing - over a week with little chipping. It's also a bit of a hassle but what can ya do with a top coat hungry polish. Because of this, removal was a bit of a bitch, but what's new with glitter polishes?

I did absolutely love the effect of this polish as it still appears neutral, but up close it is absolutely gorgeous and something that grabs the compliments! In future I'll probably use my Essence Peel off Basecoat to make removal easier, but it's definitely worth the extra effort. You guys know I really love Sportsgirl polishes for having innovative polishes that often go on sale, so I definitely recommend checking them out!

Have you tried a holographic nail polish before?

21 comments:

  1. Big fan of silver polishes like this, but like you said it's a bitch to take off. I'd completely forgotten about Essence's Peel Off Basecoat though, that is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPI just released a similar base coat, though it's essentially just PVA glue!

      Delete
  2. That is super pretty! The specks of colored shimmer are so nice. *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are mesmerizing when they catch the light!

      Delete
  3. Oooh I've not tried any holographic polishes myself but they sure are pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to give the stronger effect ones a try!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, how stunning is that polish?! I really love holographic polishes, they're so pretty and unique xx

    www.MissMakeupMagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow gorgeous colors!! I hate taking off glitter polish though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back when all I read were nail polish blogs (idk why, since I don't even wear nail polish???) I remember being all ~amazed~ at how holo polishes worked. I wanted one of Nubar's holo polishes BECAUSE HOW DOES TRUE HOLO POLISH EVEN WORK??? SORCERY.

    BUT ANYWAYS, this shade is gorgeous! U SHUD B HAND MODEL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My beauty beginnings were of nail polish blogs too!!! I know right, they are so fascinating! Will probs end up googling lol....

      Why thank you, good to know I have nice hands ;)

      Delete
  7. that looks lovely, so pretty http://maybemayhemmakeup.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, such a cool holo effect and I love the shade name! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, reminds me of the basketball movie with bugs bunny!

      Delete
  9. I've nominated you for a Liebster award!
    www.luluisloving.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This polish looks so sparkly and pretty! I don't own any holographic nail polishes myself either but they do look really cool :) It would be very hard to try capture their true essence on camera too, but I think I can imagine what it looks like :P And I definitely agree, removing glitter polish is always a bitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - their true sparkle and all the colours they reflect is so hard to capture - definitely one you need to see in person!

      Delete
  11. Okay, okay. I need to try holographic polishes NOW! xx

    ReplyDelete