09/07/2015

Smells like Chocolate

Tried to choose a good lyric from Chocolate by The 1975, but let's face it, all of their lyrics are weird, and not really about chocolate :P. So I went with the boring, but extremely applicable, and my car smells like chocolate, because the Too Faced Chocolate Bar eye shadow collection (didn't realise it was actually a "collection" not a palette...) does indeed smell like chocolate. Besides the novelty scent and adorable packaging, the eyeshadows inside are just as good as the real thing! 

I then proceeded to demolish a good chunk of that chocolate bar...





As you can tell, the packaging is just so STINKIN' CUTE. The metal tin is sleek and since the repackage, a lot thinner than the original which I much prefer. It has a magnetic closure but it's not very strong so the palette often "falls" open, so be sure to...put a rubber band around it or something if you do travel with it! A lot of people have talked about the scent but it really does smell like cocoa powder - which they are supposedly infused with! Seriously, it's a joy to use these because you can basically smell it through the packaging...mmm! The one bug bear which I know I share with many others is that I wish they'd printed the shade names on the palette! Thankfully they've improved on that with their new semi-sweet palette.

The palette contains a few different finishes of shadows and therefore, a few different textures. There are quite a few straight up shimmery/metallic shades which definitely have the most buttery, creamy texture. They are super soft and pigmented and blend well. I'm also happy that there are six matte shades! In general, the mattes are amazing. Whilst not as buttery, they are still pigmented and blend amazingly. Not chalky or patchy at all! Finally, there are a few shades with a more glittery texture. These aren't my favourite as they have a fairly sheer base and individual shimmer particles, which whilst very pretty, are not my favourite. They would be great as a topper shadow though. Overall, the formula of these shadows is amazing - super easy to work with and don't require very much effort to look good!

L-R: Gilded Ganache, White Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Semi-Sweet, Hazelnut, Creme Brulee, Haute Chocolate

Gilded Ganache is an odd colour - it sort of has a deep greenish-brown base with golden-green shimmer. Overall it has a khaki look which is a great "colour" while still being neutral.

White Chocolate is your typical matte creamy-white that works great as a brow bone highlight.

Salted Caramel is probably my favourite shade just because I don't have anything else like it, but I feel like it has filled a hole in my eyeshadow needs! It's a matte warm, orangey-brown. Perfect in the crease/just above the crease as a transition.

Marzipan is up there with my faves as well. It's a pinky-rose champagne shade that is stunning all over the lid.

Semi-Sweet is another staple matte brown, though slightly deeper and more neutral toned.

Hazelnut is a gorgeous shimmery, bronzey-brown.

Creme Brulee is a bit of a unique shade. In the pan it looks like a dirty gold, but it sort of translates a s bit more beigey-taupe? There is definitely a hint of gold there, but overall a mix of different shades. It's kind of reminding me of a Patina/Pale Barley kind of a colour?

Haute Chocolate is the deep, shimmery brown of the palette. Amazing all over the lid for a deeper/smokier eye look, or on the outer corner to deepen things up.

L-R: Milk Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Strawberry Bon Bon, Candied Violet, Amaretto, Cherry Cordial, Champagne Truffle

Milk Chocolate is an interesting brown, believe it or not. It's very yellow? I'm tempted to call it a poo-brown lol. Such an attractive description for something that's called Milk Chocolate. Delicious.

Black Forest Truffle doesn't swatch the best unfortunately and is probably one of the lesser performing eyeshadows of the palette. It has a burgundy-brown base with purple-y shimmer bits in it which aren't really showing up very well. I haven't had the chance to use this on my eyes yet and I can't say I'm overly eager to.

Triple Fudge is the deepest shade of the palette. A matte, cool toned brown which could be used to smoke things up or even as eyeliner.

Strawberry Bon Bon is another shade I haven't used yet, purely because I'm not so much a fan of pale baby pinks like this. It's matte and not the most pigmented but it's not patchy at all.

Candied Violet is similar to Black Forest Truffle in that it has those glittery particles that I don't love. The glitters are slightly more pretty but weren't quite captured on camera. It has kind of a darker, dusty violet base and more vibrant shimmer particles?

Amaretto was a shade I was really excited for, but it's not as pigmented or buttery as I'd like. It's still gorgeous but I haven't been as eager to use it. It's almost duochrome in that it's a reddy-burgundy shade but can look quite brown as well.

Cherry Cordial is an odd shade as it is primarily a matte, reddened brown but has sparse shimmer particles? The shimmers don't really show up though so really it performs like a matte.

Champagne Truffle is a pretty, pale sheeny whitish shade with pinky tones. 

While there are a few shades in this palette that I'm not crazy about and probably won't use very much, there are others (primarily the first set of swatches - left side) that I absolutely adore and have been getting a lot of use out of. They are great everyday neutrals and it includes some really basic browns that, oddly enough, I felt my collection was lacking! Overall, the formula of the majority is beautiful and the shade selection is very versatile. This palette retails here for $65 which I think is a super reasonable price! The one product I'd splurge on is a high end eyeshadow palette as the formula is definitely high quality, plus, when you put it into perspective, you get 16 eyeshadows at around $4 each. That's cheaper than drugstore!

Have you tried the Chocolate Bar palette? What else do you recommend from Too Faced?