14/12/2017

In the Spotlight // Liquid Foundations

Welcome to my foundation station where we're looking at my foundation rotation! Gotta throw in all of the rhyming words ;) I am here with another instalment of my 'In the Spotlight' series (or rather, reviving it) where I take a look at all my makeup collection through different categories, whether it be a type of product or a brand. Over my time of wearing makeup, I've cycled through quite a few different foundations! Here are the ones that have managed to stick around, and that I actually do wear! For reference, my skintone is light-medium with yellow undertones and I have pretty oily skin. I'd say I'm around a MAC NC25 (though I've never actually been shade matched lmao), and not all of my foundations are perfect matches haha :P




LIGHT COVERAGE //

L'oreal Nude Magique Cushion Dewy Glow Foundation in 07
I love this foundation, and I think it's on its last legs. This is a gorgeous natural looking foundation, with a good light coverage that can be built slightly to a decent medium. It definitely has a dewy finish (as indicated by the name) but it really does look very skin-like and healthy. For a dewy foundation, it lasts fairly well on my oily skin. Not the best, but by the end of the day I'm not an oil slick which is good!

Rimmel #Insta Flawless Perfecting Radiant Skin Tint in Light Medium*
By far the lightest coverage of my bases - it is very much a skin tint that basically evens out the skin a little, and adds a slight healthy glow. Love this for no makeup days, or as a base to a mineral powder foundation! It's slightly hydrating but again doesn't make me oily at all!

Garnier BB Cream for Oily to Combination Skin in Medium
Woooow, if you are an OG follower, you might remember this. I've had this for an embarrassingly long time... TOO long. Buuuut I'm determined to finish it! I'm so close! I actually mix this with the L'oreal Infallible 24H Matte foundation for my everyday (aka work) base. I mix them because the Garnier is too dark for me, and the combination makes for a natural looking base that is long-wearing and has a satin-matte finish. It's just a really dependable combo! On it's own though, the Garnier BB Cream is a good light coverage, with a satin finish that sits and lasts well on oily skin. 

bareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream in Ginger
This is probably my favourite tinted moisturiser! The coverage is between a tint and a light coverage foundation. It evens the skin tone well and disguises minor imperfections and redness. "Hydrating gel cream" is precisely what it is! It has more of a watery feel which is very hydrating, and looks very natural and glowy on the skin. Doesn't hold up the best on my oily skin, but it's really comfortable and lightweight!




MEDIUM COVERAGE //

My latest foundation discovery but it's already become a firm favourite! It claims to be high coverage, but I'd say it's more so a solid medium that can be built up. It has a really pretty satin finish that looks natural on the skin (can you sense that that's my favoured finish?) and a texture that blends in so easily! Lasting power is really good too! Also, this colour is a bang on match for me, so if I refer to anything as being "too dark" or "too light", feel free to use this as a reference point lel. I did try to do foundation swatches but my camera couldn't focus properly (probs because they're all the SAME colour (more or less)) and they ended up blurry :(

Probably my favourite foundation of 2017! There's something about this that I find very similar to The Ordinary one - they have similar satin-natural finishes and last similarly on my skin. Oil comes through but it's still there and hasn't worn off or gone patchy. This one I'd say has slightly less coverage though, and looks even more natural and dewy on the skin. It my favourite everyday foundation for when I want a little more coverage! Again colour match is perfecto.

L'oreal Infallible 24H Matte Foundation in 22 Radiant Beige
One of the only "matte" foundations in my collection. Despite having oily skin, I just much prefer satin finishes! That being said, I am still on the hunt for the perfect long-lasting "matte" foundation because although I don't mind my oil coming through, I would like an option that keeps it at bay! Anyway I like this foundation - I rarely wear it on its own because it's a tad light for me, and it's just a bit too matte for my everyday liking. It can exacerbate dryness and just doesn't sit on the skin as well as others. That being said, the coverage is a really good medium to high, and lasts well!


HIGH COVERAGE //

It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream in Medium
This is such a beautiful base! I've grouped it in the high coverage category but I prefer to use a tiny bit and wear it as a medium coverage. I love this a lot, but the only thing is is that it's a bit too oily for my skin. It's very moisturising and has a very dewy finish that desperately needs setting with powder on my skin, and doesn't last the longest before I become a bit shiny. The product itself is very thick so it helps when I don't use as much but I still manage to get excellent coverage. This would be amazing for dry skins, and I still love and recommend it even though I can't wear it all the time!

I really like this foundation but I don't wear it very often. If you haven't gathered by now, I much prefer light-medium coverages, and full coverage is typically reserved for special events or nights out! This one has super good, high coverage but it does have a thicker, creamier texture. Because of that, it can feel a tiny bit thick, and look a little obvious on the skin. That is the price you have to pay for a higher coverage though! Again it has more of a satin finish that doesn't look drying or cakey at all and it has really good lasting power. It is also marketed as a concealer but I've never used it as one!

Cover FX Custom Cover Drops in G30
These drops are designed to be mixed in with other products (whether it be a moisturiser, sunscreen, oil or other foundation) to bump up its coverage. I have also seen other people use it on its own as an extremely high coverage foundation (with a matte finish) but I haven't been game enough to try that! I really like mixing this in with my light coverage bases (like the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue) to bump it up to more of a medium (with only 1-2 drops) and to mattify the finish slightly. I do like this product, but most of the time I forget I have it and will typically just reach for a medium coverage foundation. It's good to have but also not a necessity (especially not for the very high price!)!

So there we have my foundation collection! I do have a lot but I think I've got a decent mix of different coverages and finishes. Definitely a base for every occasion! I would love to hear your recommendations for matte foundations if you have oily skin though. On the hunt for my white elephant - a long-lasting, matte foundation that still looks natural!

S H O P  T H E  P O S T  >>

*Products gifted for consideration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment