29/01/2018

The Best of 2017 // Skincare

It's basically February but apparently I'm still stuck in 2017? It is late, but I'm finally rounding out my 2017 favourites with my favourite skin care products. Check out my makeup faves here! I haven't done an updated skincare routine in a long while, so think of this post as products I've been using recently, as well as my favourites!




Boscia MakeUp BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil
When it comes to makeup removal, oil based ones are my favourite. Between cleansing oils and balms, I'm really not that fussy as long as it removes everything (including waterproof mascara), doesn't sting my eyes or make my vision cloudy, and doesn't leave a thick residue on my skin. This Boscia one ticks all my boxes and was the one I was using most of last year. I also really loved the Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm which I finished up recently.

Skinstitut L-Lactic Cleanser*
Skinstitut in general was a pretty big fave of mine last year - I also love their Glycolic Cleanser and Scrub. For some reason though, their lactic acid cleanser stood out to me. It's a thin gel consistency that lathers a little to leave the skin feeling very clean, but not at all stripped. The skin is left a little dry feeling after, but not uncomfortable at all. After use, my skin looks quite glowy and tight (in a weirdly good way). The lactic acid won't do much since it's just getting washed off, but it is a good gentle way to introduce daily/often chemical exfoliation. 

When it comes to physical exfoliation, I occasionally use a scrub and a facial cleansing brush, but this is my favourite product to remove dry, flakey skin. It's an interesting product - you apply to a dry face, dampen and massage into the skin, leave for a minute (or five) and then rinse off. It actually causes the dead to skin to pill up and feel quite rubbery as it's scrubbed off the face. These little "pills" could be the product itself, but I also find my skin is incredibly smooth after use. And any of that pesky dryness around my nose that nothing else can remove...is gone!

This is a really lovely clay mask! It totally does help draw out impurities to leave skin feeling clarified and clean. Definitely helps speed up the recovery of blemishes as well. Despite its effectiveness, I find it to be quite a "gentle" clay mask. It rinses off really easily and doesn't leave the skin feeling super dry or tight. While it's on, skin doesn't feel immobilised and terribly tight either which is a bonus.

An absolute holy grail! I love this mask so much! It's a very moisturising mask with some healing properties due to the antibacterial honey. A weekly staple in my routine that keeps my skin plump and moisturised.


This has been a staple in my routine for maybe 2 years now? This is definitely my fourth or fifth bottle. It's my morning time toner that is very refreshing and just helps clear and prep my skin for skincare. I'm not sure that it does a whole lot because it's just a toner, but it's good to know that it's probably helping remedy my blemishes!

Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater
Another absolute holy grail! I love this mist as a second toner step to just give some quick hydration to my skin. It kind of is a useless step but it makes me feel good! It's also great for a quick spritz at anytime to perk up the skin!

This was one of the chemical exfoliants I used throughout the year with 5% glycolic acid. I've since finished this up and moved onto something else, but I really loved this one. It's very gentle, so much so that you could probably work up to using this daily. Despite being gentle, I definitely saw good results with this (smoother, more even skin) but sometimes I just want something a bit stronger!


The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
This is the first retinoid product I've tried and I don't think I could be without it now! It's really made a huge difference to my skin. I use it every second night, and my skin is a lot smoother, more even and with cell turnover increased, my blemishes heal a bit quicker and in general my skin just looks more renewed and plump!

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Complex
As you guys know, I go through face oils so quickly, but this one was my favourite from the last year! It's a really lovely oil blend that has quite a thin consistency that absorbs really easily. When it comes to face oils - I don't see much difference between them, but this one really did moisturise and plump my skin, and in general just seemed to be a good all rounder!

Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Dry*
I've since finished this up (sad) but this was my favourite day time moisturiser. Despite being marketed for dry skin, my oily-combo skin loved it, and it didn't make me oily or make my makeup break down. It has a thin consistency that absorbs easily and just felt really hydrating and smooth on the skin.

This is a holy grail for me in winter! It's the only remedy for the psoriasis I get on my hands during cold weather and I couldn't live without it!

I'm almost finished this and I'm freaking out cos I need to repurchase it asap! This is my absolute favourite lip balm that I use at night. I find it to be really healing and intensely moisturising to the driest of lips. Well worth the money!

S H O P  T H E  P O S T  >>

*Products gifted for consideration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment