19/03/2018

Like Music to my Ears #11

It's about that time again for me to round up what I've been listening to lately! I actually got Spotify premium at the end of last year, and since then my music listening life has kind of been changed forever! I can actually listen to ALL OF THE music while I'm out and about (and not just the albums I've downloaded onto my phone). Because of that, I've kind of been listening to a bunch of stuff and not really dedicating time to any one album. That being said - here are some of the (mostly new) releases that have stuck out to me!


JOY. Six - EP
JOY is a new discovery for me! I actually heard about her through my friend who went to school with her! So in a way...we have mutual friends?? Haha. It's pretty awesome though because I actually really like her music. She has that sort of high, husky and sultry voice that I tend to like, and her genre is electronic-pop with an ethereal feel. Her style really is up my alley! Highly recommend giving her a listen!

Ocean Alley Chiaroscuro
Another new artist discovery for me! I first heard The Comedown in the Triple J Hottest 100 (of 2017) and I was hooked. There was something about it that had me jammin! Their album Chiarascuro came out recently and I was quick to give it a listen. Their style isn't typical for me, but I dig it. It's kind of super chilled but also "gritty" in a way? I love the bass in it and you can really hear the depth through all of the different instruments and the vocals!

Black Panther The Album (produced by Kendrick Lamar)
Booiiiiiiii this is a killer ass soundtrack for a killer ass movie. Though, technically, it's not a soundtrack - it's an album of songs from and inspired by Black Panther. Now, lemme be real with you, I'm not a huge rap person so half of these songs don't get a lot of listens from me. But I LOVE the songs I've popped on my playlist, and I actually really like Paramedic! too. The album really does complement the film and it's so cool to see different artists coming together and collaborating in so many ways around this film!

Vance Joy Nation of Two
I really like Vance's music, but to be honest I've never really gotten into him. His latest album Nation of Two isn't necessarily an exception to that, but I do really like it. It's really easy to listen to and his indie-folk style is joyful (HA!) and upbeat. His lyrics are sweet and his songs are sure to put a smile on ya face!

The Jungle Giants Quiet Ferocity
Another Brissie artist! This is the only not-so-new release on my list! I listened to this album a bit when it first came out and I really liked it, but I kind of forgot about it. I popped it onto my playlist for last month and after another couple of solid listens, I am really into it. Their indie-pop-rock sound is really quite unique and soooo boppy and upbeat that it just makes you wanna have a jig!

The Wombats Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life
Another album I enjoy but haven't managed to become obsessed with. I really love The Wombats' pop-rock style but to be honest their songs can kind of bleed into each other and sound very similar, so it's hard for me to really get into them! I wouldn't say their new album is anything groundbreaking in terms of their musical style, but there are definitely some bangers on here. The Wombats really are a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment