11/01/2018

The Best of 2017 // Beauty

I'm a little bit late to the 2017 roundup party, but better late than never! I'm also thinking of doing a skincare favourites of 2017 since I haven't done a skincare routine post in a while! Anyway, I tried to keep my 2017 favourites to products I actually discovered in 2017 and were new to me last year, but there are a few (three to be exact) repeats from 2016, and also a few products that I got in 2016 (perhaps toward the end of the year), but really loved in 2017. Do check out my 2016 favourites because I still absolutely love all of those products and many of them are still in my everyday rotation and could have easily been mentioned here! Also it wasn't purposeful, but I've actually got 17 products here, so it's my top 17 from 2017!




FACE //

Max Factor Face Finity All Day Primer 
A repeat from 2016 and still my holy grail primer! I'm still yet to find a primer that I can rely on as much as this one. It greatly helps prolong the wear of my makeup, prevents it from breaking up or patching off and helps keep oil at bay. It's not the most mattifying ever (still on the hunt for the best oil controlling primer) but I really trust it for keeping my makeup on!

My absolute favourite foundation of 2017! I got it in the first half of the year and it's been a staple ever since. It's the perfect everyday foundation when I still want something lightweight, but want my skin to look really good. The coverage is light to medium, and the finish is a very natural satin. I love the way it looks on the skin - it blends so easily - and it's just foolproof!

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer in SC-5
I've found my favourite face concealer! I absolutely love this stuff for concealing blemishes around the face. The dry formula takes a little getting used to, but because it's drier it doesn't slip and slide around the face. It really stays put where you apply it and the high coverage really conceals everything! It means I can go light on my all over base and just spot conceal where I need for a natural yet perfected base! For under the eyes, I'm still loving my Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Sand!

L'oreal True Match Powder in W3
Another repeat - and look how much pan I've hit! I'm not terribly fussy with powder, but this one is a staple for me. It adds a tiny bit of extra coverage and sets the face without looking dry or cakey. It's very smooth and fine and looks great on the skin!

Honourable mentions: The Ordinary Coverage Foundation, Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot Mattifying Powder


CHEEKS //

I didn't get any new bronzers last year so Laguna is my fave once again! There's something about it that's just so effortless and chic. The colour really is perfect - it's quite neutral and just a good brown colour. The formula is really easy to work with and blends out to look very natural!

Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Paaarty
Not technically a blush you can buy (sorry!) as it was part of Sephora's birthday gift last year. It was just a go-to for me last year though - it's the perfect pinky-browny-nude that was the vibe I was really feeling. The formula on these is great and I'm sure you can find a similar shade in their permanent lineup!

I got this early in the year and I still love it. The shade is a beautiful pinky champagne shade that really complemented the more ~millenial pink~ shades I was into last year (like the Tarte blush haha). The formula is stunning too - it's very much a sheeny glow rather than anything glittery, metallic or obnoxious.

Hmm, there seems to be a colour theme in the highlighters I was into in 2017 isn't there?! I absolutely loved mixing the first two shades for an easy everyday highlighter. They're definitely more subtle than the Wet n Wild one and give a very natural glow to the cheeks. I despise the third shade though - it is SO glittery!

Honourable mentions: H&M Powder Blush in Cameo Pink


EYES // 

This is a late 2016 product that very nearly made my 2016 favourites, but it's managed to stick around and make my 2017 faves! I really didn't expect it, but this palette is honestly a staple for me. It has all of the shades I need for an everyday look, and enough versatility to create a range of different looks. I took this travelling and managed to do a different look most days. It's honestly the palette I reach for when I have no idea what to wear, or when I just can't be bothered to think about it! I love the formula of the mattes - they're pigmented and easy to work with. The shimmers are a little more difficult, but they're workable.

2017 was the year of eyeshadow for me! This was a late 2017 discovery for me but it's made enough of an impression on me that I had to include it. I've only used it a handful of times but each time I was absolutely in love with the eye look. The shade range in here is stunning - so versatile and unique. The three duochrome shades really make the palette and make any eye look instantly unique. They've also inspired me and helped me go outside my comfort zone! My only qualm is that it's very much over priced and the formula is good, but not the greatest ever. For me though, it's completely worth it (though I got it on sale so that does make it easier!). 

Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadows
Pictured is Bronzed Bell, but I have a few shades and they're all stunning. The formula itself is really a favourite for me. These liquid eyeshadows are packed with glitter and are so easy to apply, but the result is a stunning glittery eye that looks like it took much more effort than it did! Glimmery, glittery amazingness. It's also really easy to achieve that cut crease look simply by painting it on!

Fairy Drops Scandal Queen Quattro Mascara
I'm not one to go crazy for mascaras (mostly because my eyelashes are pathetic and there's little that can make them look good) but this one was a fave. It definitely thickened and lengthened the lashes. It gave just enough clumpiness to the lashes to up the drama but still gave a fluttery look! 

Essence Make Me Brow Eyebrow Gel Mascara
A latecomer but totally deserves a mention! Goodbye Benefit Gimme Brow (literally, because it was recalled last year lmao) and hello $2 alternative that is just as good! It's a little bit wetter than Gimme Brow which I actually like as it sets the brows better. It doesn't add as much fibre and texture to the brows, but you win some you dim sum. Brow wise - still love my Dolly Wink brow powder and NYX Micro Brow pencil!

Honourable mentions: Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette (honestly this palette should've been in my 2016 faves as I really loved it end of 2016. Still got lots of use out of it in early 2017 and it has an amazing formula!), Dose of Colors Desi x Katy Eyeshadow Quad (specifically Noli)


LIPS // 

Essence Lipliner in In the Nude
I'm shocked (and disappointed in myself) that this is only now making its debut in a yearly favourites of mine, because honestly this is my holy grail lip liner and it has been for a few years?! The formula is lovely, it's creamy enough that it applies easily and isn't drying, but not so much so that it slips around. The shade is the perfect browny nude that honestly goes with every nude/natural lip colour and it's $2! Unfortunately, Essence has reformulated (noooo y u do dis) and the new formula is not the same. It's drier and less pigmented. Not to say that they're bad - they're good, just not as good :(. The closest shade in the new lineup is Nude Painting which is maybe a bit more.. mauve? Very similar though. Man I wish I'd bought backups, I'll be cherishing this nubbin for the rest of its days...

This was a complete go to for me! Last year I got really into greiges and cooler toned nudes and Spirit is a great gateway shade for that colour family. It's a wearable browny nude, but definitely on the cooler greige side of things. It's very wearable and went with a bunch of the more mauvey or cool toned (read nudey pink) looks I was gravitating toward!

Pictured is Aquarius but really this is more of a formula favourite rather than any particular shade. If you recall, I hate Colourpop's Ultra Matte Lips - they're very hit and miss and SO dry, patchy and crusty. The Satins, on the other hand, give a satin (duh) finish that wears down to a wearable matte with a much more comfortable formula. These tend to be creamy, pigmented, comfortable and really long wearing without any of the dry patchiness of the Mattes!

I loved all of the products from the Desi x Katy collection (and meeting them was a total highlight of 2017!!) but Hot Fire will have a special place in my heart. I wore it when I met them and made their snapchat stories because of it (hot fire crew!). It's such a stunning HOT orangey-red that is so eye catching and beautiful. Hands down my favourite bold lip of last year! The formula is really good - intensely pigmented, decently comfortable and pretty long wearing. 

Honourable mentions: Bare Minerals GEN NUDE Matte Liquid Lip Colour in Slay, Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb in Fenty Glow

Phew! There's my beauty roundup for 2017! Do you spot any faves here?! Let me know what you loved from last year!

S H O P  T H E  P O S T  >>

*Products gifted for consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment