09/02/2017

What I've Been Watching #7

Uni holidays = me watching ALL of the shows. These past couple of months I have been PUMPING through them and I needed to get this roundup post up before I had too many to talk about! As usual, most of these are from Netflix. What can I say, I prefer long-form television to the movies. It’s so much more convenient to consume entertainment from the comfort of your own home. ;)



A Series of Unfortunate Events
I was pretty excited for this, but it kept slipping to the back of my mind so I didn't have too high expectations. Especially given that the movie was a bit of a bomb, I was hesitant but in my mind, Netflix can do no wrong! Turns out, I fricken loved it! I grew up loving the books and have all thirteen of them but (like most things) I gave up reading them. I think I got up to number eight? Seriously considering picking them back up again! Anyway! Aesthetically, this show is so amazing! The sets and props are so quirky and unique to this world but it all looks very realistic. I found the show to be very loyal to the books, probably because the author also wrote the teleplay so you know they're not going to mess with the source material! If you aren't familiar with the story, it's about three children who are orphaned and left with a massive inheritance. The villain, Count Olaf played by Neil Patrick Harris (I thought he was really great!) keeps popping up in their lives in an effort to get his hands on their fortune. I also enjoy how they paced the story, each book got two episodes and I think it was well executed. I can't wait for the next season! Definitely give it a watch, though it's pretty depressing so many would warn against it ;)

I started watching this show when it first started airing and it finished its first season quite recently. It's a comedy from the creator of Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine - both comedies I LOVE, so I knew I had to tune into this one. Also, it has Kristen Bell in it - what's not to love?! It's basically about the afterlife and 'the good place' which is essentially heaven. But, Kristen Bell's character soon realises she isn't meant to be there! Like the other comedies from Michael Schur, The Good Place has extremely quirky characters who bounce off of each other amazingly. It's pretty hilarious and there are definitely a couple of twists I didn't see coming!

I wasn't planning on watching this, but I heard a few good reviews and thought eh, why not. Apparently though some people didn't enjoy it so I went in with a bit of skepticism! I actually really enjoyed it though! It is hella difficult to explain though. It's about a blind young woman who goes missing for seven years, and returns NOT blind anymore. Intrigued yet? It's definitely weird though and very sci-fi. Honestly I can't explain it any better because there are so many different elements. You just have to watch it and get past the first couple of episodes. I really got hooked in after that. The cast is diverse and an unlikely bunch of characters who end up banding together. It certainly wasn't my favourite show that I've watched but sometimes you've just gotta appreciate a weird and unique story! I also found it unexpectedly emotional, especially the climax in the last episode!

This only came out a few days ago but would you believe I watched it in basically one afternoon/night. It's very quick, only ten half-hour episodes, and very easy to watch (well, depends if you can handle a bit of jovial gore and vomiting lel). I didn't exactly have high expectations for this and it met them. It's just a bit of fun and not like, high quality television. It centres around a family where the mother (Drew Barrymore) becomes a zombie and they have to deal with her...flesh-eating tendencies. One I would recommend if you want a bit of a quick, trashy-ish comedy!

This one's still airing so it's killing me to have to wait each week for a new episode! This Is Us is a classic family drama with a slight twist. It's very character based and sometimes you just need a good ol' hearty drama. I'm really loving this show though. It's just emotional and deep and like, GOOD. The relationships between a lot of the characters are complex and the storylines are both heart-warming and heart-wrenching! Flashing between the past and the future, it tells the story of two parents raising their children, and the children when they're grown. Highly recommend if you love a good wholesome drama!

I literally hadn't heard anything about this show but I gave it a go because I saw Elijah Wood was in it - and I don't even like him that much! I must've been really bored, hey. Not gonna lie, the first few episodes are weird - well the whole show is but the first few really hit you with bizarre-ness. It's very strange, there are a lot of different elements that seem completely unrelated but, as is Dirk's motto, everything is connected and it all comes together eventually - and very smartly I might add.  I'll try to explain it for a bit of context... It's about Dirk Gently, a detective and his reluctant assistant Todd (Elijah Wood). They find themselves investigating a VERY weird murder and become entangled in something much larger. Plus, there are a bunch of other characters with their own issues haha. Look, if you can get past the first few eps, soldier on, it'll be worth it. But, it might be a bit strange for some... (much stranger than Stranger Things!).

So if you couldn't tell, my last couple of months have consisted of me vegetating on the couch watching endless TV. Yeaaaaah, I have a life!!! Right??? I'm currently back on the American Horror Story train (I seriously need to take decent breaks between seasons) and watching Coven. I've also hooked onto Riverdale which is just the right amount of trash that it's addictively good. Let me know what you've been into because I definitely need more shows to watch!!!! (that was sarcasm if you couldn't tell, but give me your recs!) Sidenote, any other Jane the Virgin watchers out there? That last ep left me SHOOOOOOOK. :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment